PREVIS POSTVIS TECHVIS 3D ANIMATION
760.855.6626 Josh@ JoshLange.com
- PREVISUALIZATION animation, cinematography, basic modeling/texturing, effects, lighting
- POSTVISUALIZATION compositing, rendering
- TECHVISUALIZATION videos and diagrams to clarify with film shoots
- 3D ANIMATION keyframe, motion capture, character/facial, quadriped, lip synch, in-game, cutscenes
- ILLUSTRATION digital and traditional (link to artwork portfolio)
- STORYBOARDING samples available upon request
- SOFTWARE Maya, Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere, MotionBuilder
5/2013 - present PROOF, INC. – Los Angeles, CA
Previsualization Supervisor Target 2016 Holiday Campaign/"The Toycracker"
- Oversaw team of nine previs artists to create four thirty-second TV spots and one short film in six weeks
- Also responsible for shot creation, asset building, and editing
- Oversaw a small team of previs artists to create five thirty-second TV spots in under two weeks
- Fast 8: Oversaw a team of twelve previsualization artists for a tentpole feature film
- Unnanounced film: Participated in director/production meetings, stepped in as supervisor for two-weeks
- Keyframe character animation, camerawork/cinematography, lighting, and character/prop/environment modeling and texturing.
- Adobe After Effects compositing. Maya lighting and rendering.
9/2010 - 5/2013 THE THIRD FLOOR, INC. – Los Angeles, CA
Previsualization Artist The Avengers, Jack the Giant Slayer, Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem Theme Park Ride, White House Down, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, 300: Rise of an Empire, Divergent, Godzilla, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Maze Runner. Van Helsing Pachinko Game, China Central Television Spring Festival Video
- Keyframe facial/character animation, motion capture editing/performance, camerawork/cinematography, lighting, basic compositing, and basic modeling.
- Created techvis documentation and diagrams and videos to help VFX supervisor with shooting.
- Held a "Learn at Lunch" lecture about Maya animation and mocap editing.
- Served as a remote "Previs Mentor" through a partnership with Escape Studios.
- Previs projects which went on to receive awards for the final product: Two Academy Award nominations for Best Visual Effects (2013 The Avengers-ILM, 2015 X-Men: Days of Future Past-final VFX team); Annie Awards: Visual Effects in a Live Action Production (The Avengers); Best Animated Special Production (Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem-Illumination); Visual Effects Society Award: Outstanding Visual Effects in a Special Venue Project (DM: MM-Illumination)
2/2005 - 9/2010 ROCKSTAR GAMES – San Diego, CA
Senior Animator Red Dead Redemption; Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare Downloadable Content
Lead Cutscene Animator Midnight Club: Los Angeles/South Central Downloadable Content
Animator Rockstar Games Presents: Table Tennis, Max Payne 3 (uncredited), Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and the Damned (uncredited)
- Created keyframe animation (including quadrupeds, vehicles, props, etc.) and edited motion capture for in-game character animation and cutscenes (all titles)
- Performed in motion capture suit for in-house OptiTrack studio; directed actors during select motion capture sessions (Red Dead Redemption, Midnight Club: Los Angeles)
- Keyframed in-game facial animation (Red Dead Redemption)
- Worked with Rockstar’s head Animation Director on New York cutscene mocap shoots; established cutscene pipeline; tracked deliverables; assembled scenes; polished facial mocap; edited cutscene scripts for programmers, collaborated with art department on art direction and set design (Midnight Club: Los Angeles)
- Uncredited animation support (Grand Theft Auto: Lost and the Damned, Max Payne 3)
- Selected as Lead Animator for cancelled Midnight Club 5 project
- Awards: “Game of the Year” (Red Dead Redemption, 95/100 Metacritic); “Best Downloadable Content” (Undead Nightmare); VGA Nominations: “Best Racing Game” (MC:LA), “Best Sports Game” (RGP:TT)
1/2002 - 2/2005 STUDIO GIGANTE – Chicago, IL
Animator, Animation Tuner, Script Editor Wrestlemania 21, Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus
- Worked under lead designer to set up cameras, facial animation, sound effects, and particles (Wrestlemania 21)
- Edited mocap and keyframed character and cutscene animations (both titles); keyed in-game lip synch (Tao Feng)
9/2000 - 6/2001 THE VANCOUVER FILM SCHOOL – Vancouver, BC
- 3D Animation and Visual Effects Class of 28, Graduated with Certificate of Recommendation
- Received festival extension scholarship; student film played in international festivals
- Animated and storyboarded one commercial and two promo shorts for the Los Angeles International Short Film Festival
9/1999 - 6/2000 THE EVERGREEN STATE COLLEGE – Olympia, WA